POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : transparent background : Re: transparent background Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:29:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: transparent background
From: Grassblade
Date: 11 Mar 2007 14:50:01
Message: <web.45f45d30bb99c116ed6975770@news.povray.org>
"Shawn" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Thank you for your responses!  The fog was indeed the problem.
>
> A contributer to wikipedia was kind enough to share his code for generating
> some images of molecular models, e.g.:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:7TM4.png
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:GPCR_mechanism.png
>
> The fog is necessary to create the nice 3D depth effect.  I suppose there is
> no way to replicate this effect and also maintain transparency?
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn

Are you sure it's necessary? I don't discern any significant difference
between the version with and without fog. Either way, if you want fog and
transparency in the same pic, you can take advantage of POV-Ray's
"infinite". Put a big number as distance in the fog. I tried 4000000 and
40000000: the first one is still very dark, but the second might be too
light.