POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Limits to size and distance? : Re: Limits to size and distance? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:15:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Limits to size and distance?
From: FexFX
Date: 8 Mar 2007 15:45:01
Message: <web.45f075c78c55fdc4556a5ed80@news.povray.org>
> FexFX wrote:
> > That is what I was looking for a reson for...I am perfectly fine with
> > running this with the solar system not to actual scale, but stars sould be
> > quadrillions of units away from the camera yet I can only place them a mere
> > 500k units away before things crash to a standstill.
>
> Of course, but it won't matter as all as long as you adjust them to their
> relative size. Besides, if you really want good looking stars, I would
> strongly recommend a texture, not actual objects.
>
>  Thorsten

Try the code I posted...You'll like it I think...
:)
However, even if I used a texture as you reccomend, the sphere on which the
texture was painted would still suffer the same limitations (albeit with
less memory overhead)
One thing I was thinking is that the stars can move with the camera location
(not rotationally, but in the prime directions) because according to paralx
you should never get ANY closer to any of the stars in a scene unless you
were traveling at insane speeds...