POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Limits to size and distance? : Re: Limits to size and distance? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:14:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Limits to size and distance?
From: FexFX
Date: 8 Mar 2007 12:40:01
Message: <web.45f049d58c55fdc4556a5ed80@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.4360929f30852916731f01d10%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=3

> for a lengthy discussion (and partial solution) to this problem when some of
> us tried to produce a Ringworld (a big dumb object from Larry Niven's SF
> novel of the same name).
>
> Bill

Thanks for the link...Looks like I may be up against a wall on an even
slammer scale than ringworld scales...
I have bult a space station (small and retro-sci-fi styled) using 1 unit = 1
foot as a scale...
Then I placed a "Jupiter" like object behind it which is roughly 350k units
distant Z and 250k Units Radius...the problem is that the Stars cannot be
more than 500k out...which means that the back edge of "jupiter" is hitting
the stars...
This causes some obvious issues...
Any suggestions beyond rescallign everything so that 1 unit = 100 miles and
then resizing jupiter, the space station, and everything else and leaving
the stars at 500K units?