POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Limits to size and distance? : Re: Limits to size and distance? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Limits to size and distance?
From: FexFX
Date: 8 Mar 2007 12:30:01
Message: <web.45f047908c55fdc4556a5ed80@news.povray.org>
> FexFX wrote:
> > Are there built in limits to size and distance in povray?
>
> <http://tag.povray.org/povQandT/misconceptions.html#simulatingsun>

Unfortunately this does not really answer my question.
The "stars" in question are not being used as light sources...
Are you suggesting that the problems I am having are due to these objects
trying to recieve light from the light sources in my scene?
Because even without light sources The scene slows to a crawl (about 1/100th
the speed) if i try to place an object at 5 million units away from the
camera...and then no matter how large I make it the object will not show up
unless some edge of the object is within ~500,000 units...
That is what I was looking for a reson for...I am perfectly fine with
running this with the solar system not to actual scale, but stars sould be
quadrillions of units away from the camera yet I can only place them a mere
500k units away before things crash to a standstill.