POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Media in glass : Re: Media in glass Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:22:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media in glass
From: Bruno Cabasson
Date: 8 Mar 2007 04:00:00
Message: <web.45efd037682acff9f5fba6ef0@news.povray.org>
"dave vanhorn" <mic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> I'm not sure where this problem lies.
>
> I have a number of glass objects in a scene, all with identical interior
> statements using media.
>
> For some reason, the blue one is much darker than the others.
> Where could I look for non-obvious reasons why?
>
> The colors are all simple, rgbf values like 1,0,1,0.5
> In particular, the blue is <0,0,1,0.5>

Hello Dave.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I can see 2 reasons why color rgb <0,0,1> looks
darker than <1,0,1>:

    -) <0,0,1> carries half the 'energy' of <1,0,1>. To be comparable in
brightness, the 2 colors you mentionned should be of equal energy (use
vnormalize)

    -) the human eye does not perceive the whole spectrum with the same
intensity: with the same magnitude, a green color looks brighter than red
and even brighter than blue.

I think these reasons apply as well to plain colors for surfaces, to
fade_color for interiors, and to scattering color for medias.

Hope that helps.

    Bruno