POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : My humble thanks... : Re: My humble thanks... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:28:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: My humble thanks...
From: Dan Byers
Date: 5 Mar 2007 22:55:01
Message: <web.45ece5815a485b492d60dc800@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

> I am very interested in knowing what software you're using to put sound
> into your animations.

The sound sources or the mixing?

Source comes from a variety of places:

1) AKG 414 condensor mic into a Mackie 120 VLZ board recording whatever
weird noise around the house.

2) All musical instruments were played or programmed by me.

3) Synthetic sounds were generated with SuperCollider, a Mac program that
acts like Csound on steroids.  The language is object-oriented and the
syntax is similar to Smalltalk.  Dense, but with enough experimentation it
can make some killer classic analog synth sounds (or just plain strange
sounds).

As far as mixing goes, for "Break Time" I used Opcode's Vision DSP digital
recording software to mix, add reverb, DDLs, etc.  Opcode no longer exists,
and Vision won't run on OS X, so I've gone to Audacity, which is a nice
open-source, multiplatform recorder and mixer, and is good for recording
audio.  Still, I'm finding myself drawn to mixing with Csound, if you can
believe it.  Within the last couple of weeks I've worked on a master editor
POV script -- inspired by you, John -- that will let me mix various video
scenes with transitions and drop Csound audio events where they need to go.
 I have another set of scripts I'm using to do the final audio -- again, POV
driving and creating Csound score files.  Not the most efficient or
intuitive way to mix audio, but I can bring scripts and WAV files to work
and mix over lunch or breaks, when my brain is actually fully functional as
opposed to, say, right now when it's been gooified by a full day's work and
the resident 9-year-old :)  It also gives me an excuse to wear headphones
when the guy in the cubicle next to me is clearing his lungs of fluids
(which he does constantly -- nasty!)

Dan