POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Reflected sunlight falls on a material, over the year : Re: Reflected sunlight falls on a material, over the year Server Time
28 Apr 2024 17:25:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reflected sunlight falls on a material, over the year
From: Philipp
Date: 22 Feb 2007 12:00:00
Message: <web.45ddcacdaa573b97d749dd2a0@news.povray.org>
"chaps" <cha### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What i understand is that you want to know if the sun will hilight something
> after  a reflection in a miror.

Yes.

> I suggest to use the property of light which say that a beam shoot in the
> opposite direction will follow the same path (in reverse).

[...]

Hi Pascal,

that is certainly a good idea!

I am working now together with a friend, we finally decided to go and use
photon mapping, and it seems to work out great. It is the more intuitive
way somehow. The mirror reflects colored light, so we see very clearly
where the mirrored light goes.
Though, we did not simulate days and hours, but rather sun positions, which
we later translate into date/time ranges using a graph - that way we need
not do so many frames that would be very similar anyway.

Thank you all for your very helpful support!

Philipp