POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bug (or feature to design around when animating). : Re: Bug (or feature to design around when animating). Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:15:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bug (or feature to design around when animating).
From: David E  LeMasters
Date: 9 Feb 2007 11:00:01
Message: <web.45cc991018adace69b0419b60@news.povray.org>
I played around with your code a bit more, pulling out things to try
and locate what is causing the problem.  This is what I came up with:

#if(clock<=0.5)
  box{0,1}
#else
  text{ ttf "COMICBD.ttf" "Caption1" 1,0 pigment{rgb 0}}
#end

When I run this on my linux box this is what I get:

+kff20 +sf1 +ef10      5 sec.
+kff20 +sf11 +ef20    23 sec.
+kff20 +sf1 +ef20    163 sec.

When I swap the box and text objects like this:

#if(clock<=0.5)
  text{ ttf "COMICBD.ttf" "Caption1" 1,0 pigment{rgb 0}}
#else
  box{0,1}
#end

I get this:

+kff20 +sf1 +ef10     22 sec.
+kff20 +sf11 +ef20     4 sec.
+kff20 +sf1 +ef20     27 sec.

When I try this:

#if(clock<=0.5)
  text{ ttf "COMICBD.ttf" "Caption1" 1,0 pigment{rgb 0}}
#else
  text{ ttf "COMICBD.ttf" "Caption2" 1,0 pigment{rgb 0}}
#end

The results are:

+kff20 +sf1 +ef10     22 sec.
+kff20 +sf11 +ef20    22 sec.
+kff20 +sf1 +ef20     44 sec.

So there is a problem with 3.6 in the first case.  This problem has been
resolved on the 3.7 beta, so I don't see where it would be worth the
developers time to pursue fixing it on 3.6.   But at least this might give
you an idea of how to structure your code to work around it.