POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : <no subject> : Re: <no subject> Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:28:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: <no subject>
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 9 Feb 2007 07:35:00
Message: <web.45cc69d56f92e856731f01d10@news.povray.org>
"Arno" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Aha. Try adding the no_radiosity keyword to your glass dome.
> Thanks! That did the trick.
>
> Can anybody explain why this is needed here? I don't understand it.

I think it's just because the radiosity sampling ignores transparency.
Presumably, diffuse and ambient contributions to the illumination are taken
from the first object encountered along the sampling ray regardless of other
surface characteristics; as a side effect, transparent objects block
radiosity lighting. I'm sure others can expand on this if I have it wrong!

I'm not sure how one would reliably avoid this issue in standard POV-Ray
versions though - I think no_radiosity is indigenous to MegaPOV.

Bill