POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Glow effect problem : Re: Glow effect problem Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:11:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glow effect problem
From: Mike8
Date: 8 Feb 2007 11:55:00
Message: <web.45cb55dc12efcd2eec8e142c0@news.povray.org>
"Tim Attwood" <tim### [at] comcastnet> wrote:
> Color maps fade from 0 to 1 linearly, but the spherical pattern
> is going along a curve. You can tweak the location and color
> to suit what you want in the color map. The colors are added
> to the background color, white tends to saturate...
>
> However, the spherical pattern is located at the origin, to move
> it you need to define it at the origin, and then translate it.
> You won't see the spherical pattern if you just place the container
> object elsewhere.
>
> This is correct:
> sphere {<0,0,0>,1 hollow material{glow} translate <0,1,0>}
>
> This is wrong:
> sphere {<0,1,0>,1 hollow material{glow} }

I'm sorry, I don't understand how that applies. Perhaps I explained badly.
In an empty test scene, the glow effect fades smoothly from the center to
the edge. The code follows:
light_source {<2,0,0> color White
   looks_like{
   sphere{<0,0,0>,1
     hollow
      material{
       texture{
        pigment{Clear}
        }
    interior{
    media{
      emission 0.75
      scattering {1, 0.5}
      density{
        spherical
        color_map{
          [0.0 rgb <0,0,0>]
          [0.5 rgb <1,1,1>]
          [1.0 rgb <1,1,1>]
}
}
}
That works perfectly. The glow in my main scene however, uses the same code
but does not fade. The different code segments follow:
light_source {
    <39.167,9.901,-40.446>
     color rgb <1,1,1>

And    interior{