POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Wide-screen orthographic camera? : Re: Wide-screen orthographic camera? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:25:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wide-screen orthographic camera?
From: Steve Webb
Date: 6 Feb 2007 18:05:00
Message: <web.45c908a8b7cf3473d51f24440@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Steve Webb <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > So how do I change the size of the projection window to the width and height
> > of the output resolution?  Is there a way to do that no matter how far the
> > camera is from the scene?
>
>   What defines the size of the projection window is the distance between
> the location of the camera and the look_at point (plus other settings).
> If you change just the location parameter to be farther away and leave
> the look_at unchanged, this will make the projection window larger. That's
> probably what was confusing you.
>
>   If you want to move the camera without changing the size of the
> projection window, use 'translate' at the end of the camera block.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

Ok, here's what I'm trying to accomplish.  I'm making an "on demand"
rendered picture to show up on my desktop.  I capture the size and
locations of each window on my computer and compute a povray scene with
that info (each window is a "box" in my scene).  When window movement is
idle for a few seconds, I call povray to render a picture of the scene and
apply it directly to my desktop background.  So, my background picture is a
rendering the shadows of each window as if it were in the actual povray
scene.  However, I need any desktop resolution to work.  So, if my actual
window on my desktop is 600x400+20+20, then I want the final rendering to
show the corresponding "box" at exactly 600x400+20+20 in the output image.
See what I mean?  I'm using an orthorgaphic projection, so nothing gets
tweaked, but depending on the camera distance from the scene, the whole
scene can zoom in and out.  I don't want to fiddle with the zoom manually
and hard-code all kinds of distances for every resolution, I just want to
say, I've got a desktop of 1280x1024, so my resulting image should be
1280x1024 and use some math so everything lines-up correctly.  I've got the
aspect-ratio thing worked out, so dual-screen desktops work, but I can't
figure out the zoom in orthographic-mode.  Clear as mud?  :)

- Steve