POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Any way to reduce povray memory usage? : Re: Any way to reduce povray memory usage? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:15:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Any way to reduce povray memory usage?
From: quickfur
Date: 3 Feb 2007 02:00:05
Message: <web.45c431e8166b55d3dd5364bf0@news.povray.org>
Ben Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
> > Charles C wrote:
> >> Additional instances of meshes are supposed to be much cheaper than that of
> >> CSG.
> >
> > The original poster did not talk about CSG. Besides, even the instance of a
> > mesh object will consume more memory than a sphere or a cone...
> >
> >  Thorsten
>
> Assuming there is some level of symmetry in the object, he could save
> memory by creating a mesh of a portion of the object (say, 1 branch of
> his fractal) and replicate that many times.

Hmm, I didn't know this. I'm not sure if it will be easy enough to
convert the current object into a set of meshes, but I'll have to try
that next time. It seems that the best solution right now is still just
to buy more RAM. :-)

> Obviously, just replacing each individual sphere / cone with its own
> mesh wouldn't solve anything.  He'd have to have a mesh encompass as
> much as possible of the object to get maximal savings; how large he can
> make the mesh is highly dependent on his particular fractal.
[...]

It's the one shown here:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.45c3ceb3e8130f30dd5364bf0%40news.povray.org%3E/