POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Any way to reduce povray memory usage? : Any way to reduce povray memory usage? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:13:45 EDT (-0400)
  Any way to reduce povray memory usage?
From: quickfur
Date: 2 Feb 2007 18:35:01
Message: <web.45c3c9589529239dd5364bf0@news.povray.org>
I'm making a fractal object built from spheres and cones, and my
laptop (500MB RAM) is unable to handle anything more than 5
levels of recursion. Is there any way of reducing the amount of
memory povray uses to construct the object? I figured out how
to get rid of the recursive macro to reduce parsing time (use an
array, the elements of which reference each other to implicitly
create a recursive object), but it seems that povray still has to
explicitly instantiate all the objects at the end of the parsing
stage. At 6 levels of recursion, this last stage causes my poor
laptop to thrash like crazy and basically make no progress.
(There are 12^n constituent objects in the fractal, where n
is the recursion level, so this thing grows pretty dang fast.)

Is there any way to control POV's resource usage patterns or
is the only solution to buy more RAM? Thanks.