POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : area light definition--some clarification? : Re: area light definition--some clarification? Server Time
21 Jul 2024 07:27:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: area light definition--some clarification?
From: Kenneth
Date: 31 Jan 2007 11:35:01
Message: <web.45c0c448ca28f3be6a06096b0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

>>Likewise, using rgbf <1,0,0,.5> would cast a reddish,
> variable-density shadow.

Actually, using rgbft is better; varying f and t produces any shade or
density of shadow.

SO... after *finally* getting around to rendering my "two identical objects"
experiment using an area light, I discovered something interesting: The
order of the two objects in the scene file -- which one comes first --
becomes important. My original test used just a single point light, to
prove the concept; and the order didn't matter.  But with an area light,
the order DOES matter.  The no_image sphere--the one casting the
shadow--has to come first in the code, otherwise NO shadow is produced.
I'll leave it up to more brilliant minds than mine to figure out why that
is so.  :-) But the trick works quite well, even using rgbft as above, with
no shadow problems that I can see.

Ken