POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : How do I rotate a citygen 1.5 scene in moray? : Re: How do I rotate a citygen 1.5 scene in moray? Server Time
26 Apr 2024 10:05:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do I rotate a citygen 1.5 scene in moray?
From: JReyes
Date: 30 Jan 2007 10:50:01
Message: <web.45bf679f8031825d2e8e680f0@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
> OK. I have rapidly tested CityGen. Here are some thoughts:
>
> - Most important: CityGen is an OLD program (1999) and it exports to POV-Ray
> 3.0. That generates some troubles, especially missing semi-colons after all
> declarations etc. but easy to overcome: run you scene a number of times in
> POV-Ray and read the error messages appearing. When your scene renders
> correctly, your SDL will be ready for Moray.
> - Now, for your specific problem, you have to do the following as CityGen
> does not group the streets and buildings into separate entities:
> --> Go to the line labelled "City Scene"
> --> Above that line type:  union {
> --> Go to the end of the file and type the following three lines:
> scale <1, 1, -1>
> rotate <-90, 0, 0>
> }
>
> -->if you use the Moray camera and lights, you have also to comment out the
> whole header part of the CityGen scene, i.e. the part of the script between
> "Standard Camera" and "End of Header".
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Thomas

Awesome! It works great. I also used union on the lights and planes created
by Citygen and rotated those.  Except for an error with the fog it also
worked. I decided using Moray's built in fog in scene settings gave better
results anyway so I deleted the fog created by Citygen. I didn't seem to
need to use "scale <1, 1, -1>" at the moment because the size seems right
on. I imagine that I'll need to modify in the future when mixing with other
objects and or effects in Moray. The "rotate <-90, 0, 0>" had to be changed
to "rotate <90, 0, 0>".
Thomas I saw your name on the GEOMORPH macro for creating isosurfaces. I
haven't learned to use it yet but hope to create a good landscape for
cities created by citygen with its functions. I do wish that citygen did
support the current povray SDL. I like the Moray city plugin but citygen's
quick street and building setup are features I really like. That's what
keeps me coming back to it. Plus there is something appealing about those
simple box buildings.
   I don't know anything about using isosurfaces but is it possible for your
macro to be made into a Moray plugin like keith HullsChris Colefax's city
plugin?

Well thanks again.