POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : area light definition--some clarification? : Re: area light definition--some clarification? Server Time
21 Jul 2024 07:31:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: area light definition--some clarification?
From: Kenneth
Date: 29 Jan 2007 01:05:00
Message: <web.45bd8ba5ca28f3bee64a7b9e0@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:

> With the no_shadow object, the lights will illuminate the shadowed area just as if
the
> object was not there at all, making the shadow very faint.

You mean, the shadow will be partially "lit," no longer black or
dense.That's an interesting point, and would seem to be true. But in
experiments I've done, using two simple spheres (one with no_shadow, one
with no_image) and a single point light just for simplicity, what I see is
that the final shadow, cast onto a white ground plane, is still quite dark.
*Almost* black...even when compared to a pure black object
next to it. (And this is using assumed_gamma of
1.0)  Plugging in assumed_gamma of 2.0--which I usually do, for my own
reasons--the shadow becomes even darker.

I'm a bit mystified as to why the shadow *is* so dark. As you say, the
darkness in the shadow area *should* be a mix of "shadow" and "no shadow"
..... that is, 50% illuminated. But that isn't so. Not that I'm complaining!
The trick seems to work.  But I haven't yet tried it with an area light and
a corresponding light grid, where there could be a subtle but distinct
"shift" in shadow darkness between the fully shadowed area and the soft
shadow from the area light. That's just a guess, though.

KW