POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Are layered textures reallly slow renderers? : Re: Are layered textures reallly slow renderers? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:21:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Are layered textures reallly slow renderers?
From: gregjohn
Date: 23 Jan 2007 14:10:01
Message: <web.45b65c9bd209bf0540d56c170@news.povray.org>
About five times now, I've presumed I had discovered the cause of the
slowup:  supers, multi-layered textures with reflection,  very low-angle
view of a 5000-unit box with layered pigments, etc. Each time I eliminate
the bad feature but still there is no change in the effect. I have a 4320
frame animation, and the scene at frames 200 to 600 takes longer than
overnight to render, whereas the remaining 3600 flash on by in a "work
day". (This is just the 160x120 preview.)  It also seems that the math
ain't right-- these slow hundreds go by much more slowly than the forumla
of (secs/frame I observe before I go to bed) x (number of frames).   I
suppose the last thing to delete is the human character (a very complex
blob)-- I've got a different include file for this one blob than that
present in all the other scenes, but no idea why this one should slow
things down.

I would be tempted to think it were a sleep setting on my KDE/ Knoppix 5.01
box, but I remember seeing the same slow-up with the older version on my
kubuntu box with the same chip speed.