POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: PNG output much brighter than preview... : Re: PNG output much brighter than preview... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:14:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PNG output much brighter than preview...
From: Kenneth
Date: 19 Jan 2007 03:20:01
Message: <web.45b07ed78a3ae007725e2aee0@news.povray.org>

> It gets even more funny for LCD monitors that do not have the typical
> gamma characteristic of CRTs.  This means colors are sent to the monitor
> in a nonlinear form but then linearized again to be displayed.

Yes indeed. I bought a very nice Samsung LCD monitor last year, mainly for
use with POV-Ray, expecting a much better visual representation of
on-screen colors and contrast...not realizing this difference. Comparing
rendered images on this monitor and on two other CRT monitors I own, I
immediately opted to keep using the CRTs and return the LCD monitor. The
differences in color and contrast were quite striking (and not in a good
sense.) Sure, LCD monitors have their place--but give me a good ol' CRT any
day, for doing computer graphics imagery.

It's interesting to note that many high-end CG special effects companies
continue to use CRT monitors to do their exacting work on.

Ken W.