POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Memory.log : Memory.log Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:23:18 EDT (-0400)
  Memory.log
From: gregjohn
Date: 17 Jan 2007 11:25:00
Message: <web.45ae4c622a91ee4540d56c170@news.povray.org>
I've been working on a large animation project (4320 frames), where I'm
rendering a 160x120 draft every night.

One thing I've noticed is that povray is generating a memory.log file, and
it's getting up to a GB in size each time!  I have seen on two different
versions of povray (for linux, from debian repositories) that my code is
generating error messages about memory leaks.   I've been ignoring them
until now I see my log getting to be a GB.

Questions:

1) Could I just turn this off somehow?  ("RTFM" with citation of chapter and
subsection is appreciated).

2)  If I'm getting a memory leak error/ a memory log generation:

a) Is my code riddled with errors that will fundamentally slow up my
render speed, OR

b) Is this the price to pay for using all the advanced features in the book
(splines, blobs, etc.,etc.)?  I have been in the habit of ignoring error
codes as my SDL's have been generating several view screens of them every
time, even in cases where I think there's no bug, per se.   OR

c) A bug in the debian-repository versions of povray that has been
demonstrated not to be in the version from the povray site?   (Followup Q:
if I were to get this official version one time, would I be screwed as far
as future updates? There's too many manual things to set up.)

thanks.
Greg M. Johnson