POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.text.scene-files : Wood Floor Texture and Scene : Re: Wood Floor Texture and Scene Server Time
2 May 2024 02:47:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wood Floor Texture and Scene
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 16 Jan 2007 12:15:00
Message: <web.45ad07a2ccbea858c150d4c10@news.povray.org>
"JSR" <jsr### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>
> > #declare Spec=0.15;              //specular/reflective strength
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Where did you found the information about "specular strength" inside arroway
> webside? I can't find it...
>
> >   interior{ior 1.36}//using fresnel reflection, vary ior accordingly
>
> Why do you use "ior"? ior is only for transparent objects, or not?
>
> Joel.

Actually now that I look, Arroway doesn't have the specular strength for the
particular wood volume.  Look at samples of some of the other volumes for
examples.

Ior is also used for the fresnel variable reflection model and is supposed
to give a better representation than the regular variable reflection model.
 I know it seems odd to give ior values to solid objects, but I've gotten
used to it.  For relative reflectivities, you can refer to actual
substances and their ior values, ie, assume the floor has a coat of varnish
similar to acrylic: ior~1.49.

-tgq