POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : bicubic_patch limitations? : Re: bicubic_patch limitations? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:20:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: bicubic_patch limitations?
From: Napivo
Date: 12 Jan 2007 08:20:01
Message: <web.45a78ae9dbaa73933cd9c0860@news.povray.org>
Thanks,

I posted a message at http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dk65p6z_6cpkdtv to
demonstrate  what I was trying to do.  It works now as I decided to curve
the deck of the ship. This is more realistic anyhow.

But I still find it odd that a flat bicubic_patch gives me a rectangle while
a curved one curves in both directions.

I will not worry about it any longer. For me the problem is solved.

Thanks for your time

Napivo

"Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote:
> I'm not sure what shape you want it to be, but 2 of your corner points are
> in the same place. The points in a bicubic patch follow this order:
>
> A, B, C, D,
> E, F, G, H,
> I, J, K, L,
> M, N, O, P
>
> You can imagine that's a top-down view of the patch, the points A D M and P
> are the corners, all the ones in between are control points. In yours A and
> D have the same position <1.000000, -2.000000, 0.000000>, hence it appears
> triangular.
>
> A simple square one would be:
> <0,0,0>, <1,0,0>, <2,0,0>, <3,0,0>,
> <0,1,0>, <1,1,0>, <2,1,0>, <3,1,0>,
> <0,2,0>, <1,2,0>, <2,2,0>, <3,2,0>,
> <0,3,0>, <1,3,0>, <2,3,0>, <3,3,0>
>
> That might be an easier thing to start with. Note the control points are
> evenly spread between the corners so you get a nice distribution of polygons
> when pov processes the patch. Also I wouldn't bother using flatness, it's
> not really necessary unless your patch is really slow to draw.
>
> --
> Tek
> http://evilsuperbrain.com

// Message Truncated //