POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scaling too small causes renders to crawl. : Re: Scaling too small causes renders to crawl. Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:25:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scaling too small causes renders to crawl.
From: space cadet
Date: 6 Jan 2007 14:45:22
Message: <web.459ffb2cbc7bf47c052e9200@news.povray.org>
Hugo <hug### [at] yahoocombr> wrote:
> space_cadet wrote:
>   > As for 'sane' numbers, I'm using real world numbers to model real world
> > values...
> Those would go from astronomicals to subatomics...

LOL, yes indeed.  However, my numbers werent that extreme.  I knew they were
aggressive, so I tried them with my fingers crossed, and they worked fine.
(until this problem surfaced much much later).

Actually, on first attempt, I scaled the spacecraft into kilometers (from
native milimeters) and positioned it at orbit altitude (in km).  Here is
where I saw many polygons disappearing from the spacecraft geometery,
although render speed was fine. So I reconfigured my scene such that the
craft stayed at the origin, and translated the earth away to the
appropriate distance, keeping all scales.  All was right with the world
from then on. (...until now)