POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I think this is a bug : Re: I think this is a bug Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:31:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I think this is a bug
From: Calvin
Date: 5 Jan 2007 16:45:01
Message: <web.459ec692988a763ee637b1f80@news.povray.org>

> > rgb <0, 0, -1> has no components that would contribute to yellowness.
> > Anything that might emit "yellow" light is zero. The closest might be
> > that it "emits" negative blue, making things nearby more yellow, sucking
> > away the blue via radiosity.
>
> In a radiosity scene, a negative colour will effectively suck out the colours
> from it's environment.
> You also can have negative light that will darken your scene and any high
> ambient object.
> Also, a negative colour will apears differently in reflections and refractions
> than plain black.

In my scene, it's actually negative yellow, so it's producing blue
coloration. Negative light isn't natural, but has been supported since the
early days of POV. Really the goal is not to produce direct coloration, but
to suck the color out of other objects. Negative light sources can be done
to produce similar results, effectively producing "extra dark" parts of the
scene. This can be used to fake shadows, but I happen to like the sort of
unnatural effect that it can give.

I'll link to a couple of images in a short time that shows some of these
effects at work.