POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Scaling too small causes renders to crawl. : Re: Scaling too small causes renders to crawl. Server Time
31 Jul 2024 14:32:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scaling too small causes renders to crawl.
From: space cadet
Date: 5 Jan 2007 11:50:01
Message: <web.459e8191bc7bf478339b0050@news.povray.org>
> space_cadet wrote:
> > Ben Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> >> Are you *really* sure what the source of the slowdown is?  Have you
> >> tried putting the model in the current scene, with its native scaling?
> >> Or did you just render the model at its native scaling in another scene?
> >>

> > No, I'm not *really* sure of the source of the slowdown.  However, when I
> > render the scene with native scaling (simply comment out the "scale
> > ...0000254") it renders, when I comment it back in, it crawls.
>
> If your objects are way too big or small, they won't be included in the
> bounding volumes. Hence, POV-ray has to to a lot more work *trying* to give
> you want you want, even though the numbers you are using are out of any sane
> range. You have to use sane numbers in your scene, there is no other "solution".
>
>  Thorsten

What seems odd about your remarks here is that it suggests that the problem
is either present or not. Its either within bounding volumes and usable, or
out of bounding volumes and causes the problem, according to you. Whereas my
slow down is continous, proportional to magnitude, not 'in or out' as your
remarks would suggest.

I've seen the situation where I'm using numbers too big or too small. All
that happens is that I lose polygons, or they render in a bizarre way, not
some mysterious slowdown.

And again, I used this same scale, generating the same size numbers
previously without this problem. Thats what makes this so baffling and
suggests its not the numbers themselves.

As for 'sane' numbers, I'm using real world numbers to model real world
values, with these exact numbers and scales performing just fine in the
past, so I dont see how that is called a breech of sanity by any
perspective. I do, of course, appreciate the flattering remark, however.