POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : large black dots in glass objects : Re: large black dots in glass objects Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:29:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: large black dots in glass objects
From: Grassblade
Date: 18 Dec 2006 17:35:00
Message: <web.458716ec2dc12fb5a627c6290@news.povray.org>
"Dennis Clarke" <dcl### [at] blastwaveorg> wrote:
> I have been trying to get rid of large black dots in some glass objects.
>
> I have the following in my global settings :
>
> global_settings {
>   assumed_gamma 1
>   max_trace_level 32
>   max_intersections 128
> ..
> ..
> ..
>
> an example of what I mean may be seen here :
>
>     http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/povray_AMD64/media1_001.png
>
> any ideas ?
>
> Dennis

Hmm, yes, I've got the same, only worse:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b288/aardpast/Real%20pics/RingsMaxTrace20.png
I've tried cranking up Max Trace level to 50, but the result doesn't change
much, in fact it's slightly worse in places. I even tried a Max_trace_level
of 250, which is just as bad.
I have two spotlights that are inside the ruby, if I move them outside the
ruby, the black spots disappear. No amount of looks_like or union of the
light and the ruby changes anything. An adc_bailout of 0 with max trace of
level 200 doesn't seem to ever get to the ruby. And adc_bailout of 1/200048
with Max trace of 50, is a *lot* worse, with black dots peppering the ruby.
It looks like the only thing that works is to make sure your lights aren't
contained in any solid objects. Reducing media might possibly work too.