POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : media question : media question Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:26:35 EDT (-0400)
  media question
From: MichaelC
Date: 18 Dec 2006 16:05:00
Message: <web.458701ac968c6bf84599c17c0@news.povray.org>
Hello fellow PoV'ers..

I am fairly new to POV-Ray and I am having issues with media and thought I
would post my question here.

I have created a stained glass window with an outside light source shining
into my room.  Without media, the light shines through and I see a colored
"shadow" on the floor from the light shining through the window.  This is
how I want it.  With media, I see the colored light shining through my
media but I lose my colored floor "shadow".

I have tried turning photons on .. but that didn't seem to help.

What do I need to get both to work?  I understand there are 3 kinds of
media, but it is frustrating trying to learn/debug media since it takes so
long to render media.  Do I need to use more than 1 type of media in the
interior?   Am I just missing a media parameter?  Do I just need to play
more with my parameters? ( no sick comments please ) More than likely this
is a simple setting I am overlooking.  I have included my light, media box
and glass texture code below.

Thanks for the help,
Michael

    light_source { <-300000,390000,250000> White*0.5
                   area_light x*1.5,z*1.5,4,4 adaptive 1
                   circular
                   media_attenuation 1
                   media_interaction 1
                 }

// media box
      box { < -Rlen, Fhei, 0   >< Rlen, Chei, Rwid+Wthi/2   >
               pigment  { rgbt 1 }
               hollow
               interior { media {  scattering { 2, 0.07
                                                extinction 0.01
                                              }
                                   samples 80, 100
                                }