POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Render grinds to a halt : Re: Render grinds to a halt Server Time
19 May 2024 09:04:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Render grinds to a halt
From: Stephen
Date: 18 Dec 2006 09:05:00
Message: <web.45869fde6e13d372f1cb1e660@news.povray.org>
"i_need_a_unique_name" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Rendering an animation (obviously)
>
> An individual frame takes about 5 minutes.
>
> When rendering via an ini file though each frame takes longer and longer
> until within 4 or 5 frames the whole render process has ground to a
> complete halt.
>
> frame 0 : 5 minutes
> frame 1 : 10 minutes
>
> If I start the animation using +SF1 then frame 1 takes 5 minutes
>
> Is this a known issue with Povray?
>
> Further info using scattering media, with a couple of spotlights, shed loads
> of reflective surfaces, photons turned on with media interaction.
>
> Machine Dell XPS Core 2 Duo 2.16GHz 3.25G ram : whilst render is running
> Sysinfo is indicating 2.4G physical ram is free ie not hitting swap file.
>
> Regards
> Rob
There was a problem where PovRay did not release the memory after each
frame. You can check this using the task manager and see if the Mem Usage
increases after each frame. My workaround was to split the animation up
using Subset_Start_Frame and Subset_End_Frame in several ini files. Then
use the render queue to render them sequentially

Stephen