POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : script based animation ? : Re: script based animation ? Server Time
1 Jun 2024 04:10:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: script based animation ?
From: Meothuru
Date: 18 Dec 2006 01:05:01
Message: <web.45862e8f97a63f23bec6930d0@news.povray.org>
"Dennis Clarke" <dcl### [at] blastwaveorg> wrote:
> I have an 8-way opteron machine to run some POVRay renders on and it seems
> to work well creating frames one at a time.  Does there exist some tool
> that will allow me to do the following ?
>
>   ( 1 ) issue 8 povray commands that produce animation frames in
>         sets.  So CPU0 works on frames 1 to 32 and then CPU1 will
>         work on frames 33 to 64 etc etc.  This is done with the
>         +KC and start and end frame number options easily.
>
>   ( 2 ) process all frames into an MPEG4 animation file
>
> My objective here is to take a given POV input file and a well described
> camera path based on the clock parameter and have an animation all done
> by the computer at the back end.  I am not interested in seeing frames
> unless there is a problem.  The only thing I care about is how many
> frames in total.
>
> Is there a tool that takes sets of PNG input files and creates MPEG4 ?
>
> Dennis

This are two steps.

For the first step I wrote such kind of tool for my personal use.
It's a PyQt/KDE -application and run's under SuSE-LINUX x64 10.1
and a Shuttle Barebone with an AMD64 DualCore
It's possible to create up to to 20 parallel running tasks. But I mostly
use 2-4 tasks.

But you can also write a simple shellscript, just like:

 povray inifile_01.ini&
 povray inifile_02.ini&
 povray inifile_03.ini

The trick is the "&"-sign at the end of line. This allows you to run
more than one povray-instance parallel.

For making the MPEG-4 Video(as the the second step), I'm using the
"ffmpeg"-Encoder.