POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Use Slope pattern for Planting distribution? : Re: Use Slope pattern for Planting distribution? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 13:52:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Use Slope pattern for Planting distribution?
From: Kirk Andrews
Date: 12 Dec 2006 12:25:00
Message: <web.457ee583dc80ee109033e1160@news.povray.org>
Thank you, that was very helpful--

>   Some basic vector math knowledge could be of great help when designing
> thing with POV-Ray... :P

In my defence, I am relatively new and to me, a "vector" is a *direction*
(which could be defined in various ways).  Yet what is returned is
obviously three float values combined in what POV calls a "vector".

Therefore, the normal vector could define a point 1 unit (or more?) away
from the intersected point in the perpendicular direction, or could be that
point minus the intersected point.  So I suppose my real question is: How
exactly does POV define its vectors?

In any case, you've certainly answered my current problem and I appreciate
your patience with my ignorance.

Kirk