POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Warn About Naming Conflicts? : Re: Warn About Naming Conflicts? Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:19:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Warn About Naming Conflicts?
From: Randall Sawyer
Date: 7 Dec 2006 12:10:00
Message: <web.45784ada3c56775e81faf070@news.povray.org>
BTW to nemesis and anyone else whose been following the the topic of
'aliasing':

I recently made reference to "cork" and "tungsten" (Includes - Standards
#53).  If you didn't already know I was referring to, here it is:

Legend has it that Thomas Edison already knew that the electric light bulb
was possible in principle before he actually made one that worked.  All he
needed was to find the right material for the element.  Instead of ruling
out any possibility, he decided to try every material he could think of -
even the ones he knew wouldn't work - including cork.  Eventually he
settled on tungsten - it worked the best.

Alchemically speaking:  Of all the metals in the periodic chart, tungsten
has the highest melting-point.  I feel that well-made software should be
like tungsten.  It should glow white-hot without burning out when you put a
high current through it.  I'll leave the gold to the user in posession of
the software that's made of tungsten.

-Randall