POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Warn About Naming Conflicts? : Re: Warn About Naming Conflicts? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:19:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Warn About Naming Conflicts?
From: Charles C
Date: 7 Dec 2006 10:30:00
Message: <web.457832453c5677574eed8480@news.povray.org>
"nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> >   This is because, if the #macro is indeed in an included file, POV-Ray will
> > open that file, seek to the macro, parse it and close the file, and this each
> > time the macro is called. Thus the overhead is about as bad as an explicit
> > #include call.
>
> oh, man! This is freakish bad!  It really read the include file each time
> the macro is called?!  Is it an easy way to get local scoping for the macro
> by using the stabilished local file for the include files?... that hurts...

This is also part of the reason why I'm not as big of a fan of giving each
macro it's own file.  Most of my macros actually call on other macros and
if there's a #while loop in there, it's nice to already have it there in
the same file.  Of course I haven't done any tests like (was it Warp?)
somebody did a few months ago to see how much time I'm saving.

Charles