POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Who Not Make Naming Conflicts Disappear? : Re: Who Not Make Naming Conflicts Disappear? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:27:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Who Not Make Naming Conflicts Disappear?
From: Randall Sawyer
Date: 6 Dec 2006 16:55:00
Message: <web.45773b5c315c6ef0e81faf070@news.povray.org>
nemesis - Thank you for your prompt response.

From: nemesis
> Sounds a lot like prefixing each declare in the include with a unique
> identifier, perhaps chosen by us. ;)

Actually, I saw the prefixing as extra work for the author.  I thought it
could be avoided.

From: nemesis
> > I cannot use names used in B1.inc or used in B2.inc.
>
> You could use them freely if they were local to the files including them. ;)

That's the whole point: Have the names declared in an include be local ONLY
to the file that '#include'd it.

From: nemesis
> Now, what if i also want to use the original B1.inc
> declared object under that identifier?

Then, your file would also contain the line: '#include "B1.inc" '
From the perspective of your file then, B1.inc is parallel to A1.inc and
A2.inc.  In that context, you - the author - are responsible for managing
naming - just as the author of A1.inc was.

Once again from the perspective of your file:
"B1.inc", as it is implemented in "A1.inc" is invisible to you.  You only
need to concern yourself with the contents of "B1.inc" if you include it
directly.

> this discussion should probably be better off under the Standards thread...

Our topics under that thread have evolved.  Ben Chambers set up camp at
"Warn About Naming Conflicts?"  I set up this post because I feel that my
idea is divergent enough from the original discussion, that it meritted its
own position.  Besides, I was getting no response at the previous site.

I have no attachment as to the outcome of these discussions.  I would like
to see a solution that makes the POV-Ray experience as enjoyable for
everyone as possible.  And, I would like to increase my understanding of
namespace management.

-Randall