POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Compile error during Megapov XRS server make : Re: Compile error during Megapov XRS server make Server Time
16 May 2024 22:06:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compile error during Megapov XRS server make
From: George Pantazopoulos
Date: 6 Dec 2006 11:20:01
Message: <web.4576ec84e1423b92c0bad8570@news.povray.org>

> This is a win-win situation. Am happy to be working through this. Sorry to
> not have responded sooner. Last week we were really under the gun to get
> our R&D plans finished.
>
> Proceeded with restructuring the command and used: "python pyxrsclient.py
> +w800 +h600 +iwoodbox.pov +v +owoodbox.png
> +l/cygdrive/c/program_files/cygwin/tmp/povray-3.6.1/include"
>
> Received the following error message: "POV Base dir could not be located.
> Path must contain scenes/"
>
> Looking through the python code, this happens when NONE is returned by the
> parser. The parser seems to be trying to read the line:  g_server_urls = [
> ("http://localhost:9000",
> "/cygdrive/c/program_files/cygwin/tmp/povray-3.6.1") ]
>
> The indicated directory does indeed exist since we installed full povray.
> Not being a python expert, maybe I messed up the syntax. Looked back at the
> original example but could not spot anything amiss.

Hi Peter,

   It's indeed a win-win, thanks! I guess I need to be more clear of this
for new users.

   The artist's computer (which runs the client) should have a special
directory structure separate from the POV-Ray distribution.

The *contents* of this directory needs to be duplicated *somewhere* on each
Server computer. The path leading to the Server's copy of PovBaseDir is
freely choosable by the Server administrator.

The computer running the client could have:

/home/themaxx/pov_stuff/
/home/themaxx/pov_stuff/scenes/
/home/themaxx/pov_stuff/include/

Thus, the PovBaseDir *for the client* is /home/themaxx/pov_stuff

---

Now each Server needs to duplicate the contents UNDER pov_stuff:

Server A: (http://localhost:9000)
/home/rob_halford/pov_stuff/
/home/rob_halford/pov_stuff/scenes/
/home/rob_halford/pov_stuff/include/

Server B: (http://localhost:9001)
/home/users/foo/pov_xrs/
/home/users/foo/pov_xrs/scenes/
/home/users/foo/pov_xrs/include/

Server C: (http://localhost:9002)
/home/users/bar/pov_xrs/
/home/users/bar/pov_xrs/scenes/
/home/users/bar/pov_xrs/include/

--

Thus, the config would look like this:

# Server info format.
# -------------------
#
# ("http://server-ip:server-port", /"pov_basedir/for/this/server"),
#
# Edit this variable (last entry should not have a comma):
g_server_urls = [

                 ("http://localhost:9000", "/home/rob_halford/pov_stuff/"),
                 ("http://localhost:9001", "/home/users/foo/pov_xrs/"),
                 ("http://localhost:9002", "/home/users/bar/pov_xrs/")

               ]

Please let me know if it's still not working or if you have more questions.

PS. I have a new version of the Server and Client on the way. The
installation process is the same.

Thanks,
George

MegaPOV XRS: render faster than light!