POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Licensing : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:17:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing
From: nemesis
Date: 6 Dec 2006 09:50:01
Message: <web.4576d7696ea74aa93976a8750@news.povray.org>
"Chris B" <c_b### [at] btconnectcomnospam> wrote:
> The License
> ------------
> It seems that we will probably
> need separate provisions for licensing the source and for licensing the
> resulting generated images.

hmm?  Why is generated image licensing a concern?  Just to draw an example
from programming languages and environments:  most, if not all, compilers
do not place any limitations on what kind of license the generated
binaries/executables should be under.  It means you can use a compiler
licensed under the GPL, say, GCC, and still license the generated
executable for your source code under some proprietary license of your
choice.

If someone puts limits in generated content from source code, isn't it as
bad as limiting the source code itself?  I'm not really aware of such
limitations in open-source software...

> The main candidate for a common license to cover the submitted Scene
> Description Language files and things like height field files and input data
> files, seems to be the LGPL (Lesser General Purpose License).

Reading through the discussion i was under the impression a majority of
people were inclined to go with CC licenses.  Perhaps it should be a good
time to start a Poll thread for the subject?  I myself would go for the
LGPL but have no problem with CC licenses if they are chosen.

> This
> introduces the concept of a 'library' which is defined as "a collection of
> software functions and/or data prepared so as to be conveniently linked with
> application programs (which use some of those functions and data) to form
> executables.".

read:
"a collection of SDL #macros/functions and/or #declares prepared so as to be
conveniently included with scene files (which use some of those
macros/functions and declares) to generate images"

> The LGPL does not seem to me to explicitly cover images generated using the
> library.

We're talking about include files here, not complete, final scene files,
right?  The LGPL differs from the GPL in that it permits source code
licensed under it to be used by other sources *without* requiring them to
be licensed under the same license.  It means someone may license a .pov
scene file using such LGPL includes under whatever license that meets their
needs.  Images generated using the include files are the same as executables
generated using the library.

Now, since we're talking about include files, not final scenes, i'm not sure
why the concern of licensing of generated images from the sources:  aren't
we contributing stuff to the collection precisely for them to be used
abroad?  Limiting them in this way doesn't seem helpful.

> I think the discussions in the thread implied that we want images
> to become the property of the person using the files, as I believe is the
> case with files distributed under the includes directory of POV-Ray.

the LGPL covers that, as seen above:  generated images are licensed to the
main pov scene file author's will.

> A potential alternative to the LGPL is the Creative Commons Attribution
> license which seems to be oriented more towards the artistic community.

To me, it seems better suited for complete, final, individual pov scene
files, perhaps ones appearing in demo sections of the web collection or
something.  The need for crediting everyone that ever worked in any little
line of code does not lead well for agressive collaborative efforts...

> Other Stuff
> -----------
> We discussed a concern that someone could publish and make money out of our
> work without making any significant changes to our contribution and without
> giving us any credit, but the general consensus seemed to be that, although
> we may get a bit miffed and be a bit grumpy with our friends and family for
> a few days, we'll otherwise live with that.

as i said previously, i wonder how much money a guy can make with stuff
freely available and easily reproductible -- like rendering demo scenes
from the collection and selling at Zazzle -- when anyone can have the same
idea for the same scene.

It's a collaborative effort that should benefit everyone.  I won't benefit
if i'm the only one contributing, but if others do it as well i'm sold!...