POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 4 tips to improve a simple POV-Ray scene : Re: 4 tips to improve a simple POV-Ray scene Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:21:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 4 tips to improve a simple POV-Ray scene
From: nemesis
Date: 6 Dec 2006 04:55:01
Message: <web.457692cc53db61583976a8750@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   That type of wood texture is actually one of my best developed "tricks"
> with POV-Ray's procedural textures I have developed over the years. The
> idea is quite simple, yet effective:

What i found most stunning is the fact that it looks just as good as yours
from the Povray Fractal Contest, which is an isosurface actually!
http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/rendering/povfrac/final/0007.html

> - Apply the same turbulence and transformations as the pigment so that the
>   normal matches perfectly the pigment.

yes, matching pigments and normals are something i do frequently.   In fact,
rather than employing manual copy-and-paste, i find myself putting the same
definitions in a macro (function works too!) and calling it in the pigment
or normal, say:

#macro woddy() wood turbulence .1 scale 5*y rotate 5 warp { repeat x*2
offset 2 } #end

pigment { woody() color_map { cm1 } }
normal { woody() slope_map { sm1 } }

> - If you want to create wooden planks, average the above normal definition
>   with a gradient-patterned normal which uses a proper slope map.

hah!  It is indeed a good way to create tiny wooden nods and bumps in the
larger wood texture. :)