POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Standards : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Standards Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:21:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Standards
From: Randall Sawyer
Date: 4 Dec 2006 17:05:00
Message: <web.45749a5647def5cacc8a61450@news.povray.org>
"Charles C" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> Yes this is what I meant.  I was just trying to say includes called from
> within includes would need to inherit the prefixes all the way down.

In my "#declare whose" model above, I didn't address includes calling other
includes.

I've been thinking about how folks would actually be using includes.  Naming
conflicts will occur.  But, I don't think we need to make them idiot-proof,
just manageable.  This is the possibility I imagine:

Think of each include file as a locked room.  On the door of that room is a
sign that tells you what key you need to get in ( whose ).  It tells you
what's in the room ( Manifest ).  It tells you what rooms it leads to (
Dependencies ).

If you are already in possesion of an item with the same name as something
on the 'Manifest' and you don't want to loose it, then declare it as
something else before you go in.  While you're at it, check the 'Manifests'
of the 'Dependencies' as well, renaming anything you have that you might
need to protect.

Then, make the key (#declare whose = "the_key") and enter (#include
"the_room.inc").  Once you're in the room your key might change (an include
file including another).  But, that doesn't matter.  You're already in the
room and you don't need any key to get out.

-Randall