POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Standards : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Standards Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:21:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Standards
From: Charles C
Date: 1 Dec 2006 19:25:00
Message: <web.4570c68947def5cae451c5d90@news.povray.org>
Sherry Shaw <tenmoonsPutAtCharacterHereaol-dot-com> wrote:
> John VanSickle wrote:

> > Probably the biggest issue is that while many people around here use 1
> > unit = 1 meter, others (such as I) use 1 unit = 1 cm for most scenes.
> >
> > This is probably best addressed with a simple line at the start of the
> > macro or scene file:
> >
> > // -- uses centimeter scaling
> >

> I wonder if some sort of generic unit conversion code might be posted on
> the site, to allow coders to use the units they find most appropriate,
> while simplifying end-users' ability to mix-and-match #include files...?

If anybody's interested, Sherry your comment inspired me to make a little
macro which is expandable, but currently can convert any combination of
"mm", "cm", "m", "km", "in", "ft", "mi". I posted it here, and then as
usual found a minor error in a #debug statement & then re-posted.  I
wouldn't mind contributing this, realising it may need modification to fit
the standard we come up with. Any comments for improvement?

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3Cweb.4570c25ad5e52cf5e451c5d90%40news.povray.org%3E/

Charles