POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Acceptable grade for a walkway? : Re: Acceptable grade for a walkway? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Acceptable grade for a walkway?
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 1 Dec 2006 17:45:01
Message: <web.4570b0371c0e3f132ac336070@news.povray.org>
Ben Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:
> In a scene I'm working on, I have a walkway which is calculated via trig
> to reach a certain point.  However, I'm concerned that it appears too
> steep for people to walk on.
>
> Currently, it drops approximate 1 foot for every 3 feet forward.  While
> not an exhausting slope (I've climbed much worse), I'm thinking of
> splitting it into sections of shallower slopes, interspersed with
> sections of stairs.  (Of course, for usability, I'm going to add
> escalators etc, but that's a different aspect of this).
>
> What would be a good slope, bearing in mind that this is a rather long
> walkway (almost 3000', or about 920m)?  Is the current drop of 1 foot
> for every 3 forward acceptable, or should I lower it to 1 foot for every
> 5 or even 10 forward?
>
> ...Chambers

In Ontario, generally speaking, the steepest acceptable is 1:12 but for
wheelchair accessability it should be no more than 1:20.  This is why
you'll often see switchback type access ramps with landings in order to
accomodate the slope.  There are also rules about the length of single runs
and landings but I don't know them off the top off my head.

-tgq