POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Acceptable grade for a walkway? : Re: Acceptable grade for a walkway? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:25:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Acceptable grade for a walkway?
From: Randall Sawyer
Date: 30 Nov 2006 22:25:01
Message: <web.456fa03d1c0e3f137cac52a50@news.povray.org>
Hi Ben!

In the real world, 5% grade is optimally the steepest you want.  I wouldn't
go more than 10%.

A landscape contractor might excavate, build a retaining wall on the side of
the slope, and have the pedestrian way lead to some steps or a ramp.  This
is what I typically saw in residential neighborhoods in Seattle.

Alternatively, a series of switch-back paths with periodic landings are also
a norm.  I've been on a number of paths like these in hilly parks.  Of
course, retaining devices such as logs with spikes are used along such a
path.

If you want your image to look PlanetEarth realistic, then google
"ICC/ANSI".  "ICC" stands for International Construction Code.  You might
find a good resource that way.

I too have walked/driven up and down some very steep hills.  Usually in
down-town areas of cities where building density prevented the possibilty
for alternative landscaping.

I hope this helps.

-Randall