POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Standards : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Standards Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Standards
From: nemesis
Date: 30 Nov 2006 18:35:00
Message: <web.456f69e347def5ca30d1bec10@news.povray.org>
> FWIW I'd suggest some of you investigate how the Perl folks have handled
> this, since they've gone through some of the same issues. While it is for
> example possible to include a file into a perl program just like we do with
> #include, they have another concept called 'modules' which covers some of the
> issues here

Chris, i guess having proper lexical scoping helps a lot in getting true
module/package/unit/namespace...

The SDL right now just has global variables and per-file local variables.
Macro "local variables" seem like they are really just copied verbatim to
the location where the macro was followed, thus becoming local to the
callee file.  Macros are indeed a strange mix of C preprocessing macros and
procedures/functions...

Still, i guess its too costly for a change right now, so i think we'd better
deal with it for a while -- hey, C is still around! -- and see what we can
do with this limitation in mind.

>, plus some others that we haven't covered yet (e.g. modules can
> be self-documenting). See:

talking about it, code is the best document there is! :)