POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Standards : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Standards Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:20:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Standards
From: Randall Sawyer
Date: 30 Nov 2006 15:45:00
Message: <web.456f408647def5ca7cac52a50@news.povray.org>
"Charles C" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I think it all depends on what we're building here.  Something like a
> professonal product containing the best of the best, or a community effort
> containing some things that might not be as up-to-snuff as others.
> I'd lean more towards guidelines, and tutorials on how to make #includes
> "nice," kinda like what Chris B was talking about.

> Have two sections of the library: the 'standard', and the 'ad-hoc' one.
> Everything goes into 'ad-hoc' to start with, until an administrator checks
> it. If it meets the standard, it goes into the standard area.

I like the direction in which this discussion is heading.

My personal preference is for #macro includes with a parameter each for size
or texture-density where appropriate.  I just got done rewriting my personal
includes, eliminating all #declares.  My headers now have two new lines:

// Manifest: #macro_1, #macro_2, ...
// Dependencies: "file_1.inc", "file_2.inc", ...

BTW: I'm more of a hands-on learner.  So, this exercise served to inform me
better in participating in this discussion.  It is not my intention to
promote my personal standard.  I share it only as an example.

I would still like to promote my "scene ruler" #macro-generated objects for
use by the 'ad-hoccers' who want to make their textures and such available
via #declares (assuming we do end up with an 'ad-hoc' area).

Also, I'd be happy to help with the tutorials.

-Randall