POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Licensing : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing Server Time
1 Aug 2024 00:19:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing
From: Charles C
Date: 30 Nov 2006 13:30:00
Message: <web.456f21126ea74aa9a5fa4f50@news.povray.org>
I'm no expert on licenses which is why I've stayed quiet so far on this
one... I'd be happy to vote though if somebody wanted to call for one.

Verm <pov### [at] thirteeendynucom> wrote:
> I'd be wary of forcing people to give credit. I'd say people should be
> strongly encouraged to give credit but not legally obliged to.

I'm inclined to agree with this.  It just sounds a whole lot simpler.

> Sometimes people genuinely forget where they originally got code from
> especially if they've heavily hacked it. Also it would get very long
> winded and tedious having to give credit for every author of every item
> in a busy scene if each item was taken from the proposed library and
> each item had been repeatedly modified by different people.

Individual credit is nice, especially when the #includes more explicit in
what they make or what they do.  But to my mind, crediting the "Library"
with a capital-L (whatever it ends up being named)with the individual
credit appearing in the individual files would be enough for me anyway.   If
something I made were refered to as "the ____ from the [name_of_library]"
I'd be happy.

Charles