POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Licensing : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:18:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing
From: nemesis
Date: 30 Nov 2006 06:55:00
Message: <web.456ec5606ea74aa9f2ff13290@news.povray.org>
> The reason I make this distinction is that traditionally art and code have
> been considered different things and generally have different licences. In
> POV-Ray, the two tend to merge since SDL is a co-ordinated blend of both art
> and function.

yes and there lies its beauty. :)

> However in a pinch we could probably say that any POV
> source file is considered program code since SDL is what we parse,

actually, povray source includes code and data like any other programming
languages.  And data is content really external to code itself, like sounds
or images or, in this case, descriptions of images.  Source code in SDL --
with full control flow structures and even macros implementing clever and
complex algorithms and all -- is there just to make such artistic
descriptions possible.

So, yes, i'd say your distinction is spot-on and indeed mostly declarative
includes perhaps could be licensed with something like CC rather than
software oriented licenses...