POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Licensing : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:10:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing
From: nemesis
Date: 29 Nov 2006 18:45:00
Message: <web.456e1ad66ea74aa9b1e716f90@news.povray.org>
I'm really not particularly knowledgeable at the Creative Commons licenses,
being much more into open-source software licenses, particularly the GPL
and LGPL.  But from what i heard about CC they don't really seem to base
their licenses in copyright laws, instead trying to replace those with
something new.  While GPLed and LGPLed works are very much protected by
copyright law -- using it to effectively give the same rights to other
people -- it seems CC licenses are intended to replace copyright licenses.
I don't know how much protection authors take from their works under CC.
I'll have to take a look on it further... as of now, i'd go for a LGPL
license.

Sabrina, i don't think it'd be much of a problem if items from the
collection are licensed differently elsewhere, as long as we stick to what
we create here and other includes in the library only rely on stuff already
in there.  I mean, it doesn't matter that there is IronPython, Jython and
the likes:  the standard is CPython by the original author...

Chris B, you got me right.  If an author contributes work to the collection,
the license should provide a mechanism to ensure the contributed work is
there perpetually for use by anyone under the same rights it was originally
licensed.  Should the author change his mind, he can license further
modifications under other licenses and stop contributing it to povray if he
will, but can't deny others from using and modifying the original work in
the povray library.  He has to abide by the terms of the license and that's
why it should have such provision.

GPL licenses are famous for this fierce "freedom insurance"... :)