POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Organisation : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Organisation Server Time
31 Jul 2024 22:09:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Organisation
From: Charles C
Date: 28 Nov 2006 02:30:01
Message: <web.456be44c6bf4081b2f60260@news.povray.org>
"Chris B" <c_b### [at] btconnectcomnospam> wrote:

> That's one option.
> I think the problem with that is that, if it's successful, it could grow
> quite large and could change quite frequently.
> If we only make it available as a single big zipped file then everyone who
> wants access to a new addition would need to download the whole archive each
> time

I think Ben Chambers has a good point that it doesn't have to be one way or
another... Maybe we can do both. Browse by file, view sample images online
download the latest version of somebody's "woodfloor.inc"   But then when
somebody adds or changes something, the server could create a new (for
example) POV_Community_Library_RevDate20061128.zip   Some people might find
it easier to replace the whole library directory on their computer than look
to see if they've got the latest of each component.

>and would need to take care not to overwrite any changes they'd made to
> stuff they'd downloaded earlier.

I basically leave the POV-Ray INCLUDE directory alone for just this
reason...

> Also, how would you know whether you want to bother with the new additions
> if we don't list them with graphics to illustrate what you'd be getting.

Good point.  I'm all for icing on that cake, and the gravy too! errrr ;-)

> > The big thing on my mind regarding organization in general is how we
> > should
> > organize the library itself once downloaded. I'll post my comments on this
> > under "standards"...  (Or do I have that wrong - it'd be a web page with
> > many downloads?)
> >

> I think that's part of this discussion at the moment, whether it should be a
> loose collection of objects or a highly structured heirarchical library with
> categories and sub-categories. My view is that developing a deep multi-level
> taxonomy would turn out to be something of a maintenance overhead, but that
> grouping it all into just one archive would make it cumbersome and messy.
>
> My preference would be for a small number of areas of interest with a main
> directory for each, then a sub-directory for each contribution within that
> category. So, if you're interested in buildings you could download an

I've checked now, and the limit for POV-Ray is 25 library_paths that you can
add to the main POVRAY.INI.  Having a lot of sub directories containing 2
files kindof slows down browsing on one's own computer IMHO, so for some
things some sort of a general/tidbits directory might be nice.  Nobody
seems to be talking about bigger "systems" which might have a dozen related
files, each with a dozen or more macros within them. I think those kinds of
things could definitely use their own directories. Then again, maybe
fitting in with one of appropriete categories is good enough.  That leads
to another question which is, will one "system" or "project" still have to
be broken up & spread out in the library according to its components?

> archive that might include the cityscape generator, some models of buildings
> and some furnishings and fittings. If you're interested in space you could
> download an archive containing macros for building planets, utilities for
> converting and mapping satelite images and utilities for generating

> gallaxies. I'd also like to be able to download new contributions and
> updates without having to refresh the entire archive.

I think this would be good too.  I do have a slow connection at home...

Charles