POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Standards : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Standards Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:29:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Standards
From: Charles C
Date: 28 Nov 2006 01:25:00
Message: <web.456bd51f47def5ca2f60260@news.povray.org>
Ben Chambers <ben### [at] pacificwebguycom> wrote:

> That's worse than having no standard, because then you have to check
> whether or not its standardized...
>
> My opinion is, you make a standard, and stick to your guns.  People are
> still free to make their own files, and distribute them the
> old-fashioned way, so noone's really losing anything.  But for such a
> collection to be useful, standards are the way to go.

I think it all depends on what we're building here.  Something like a
professonal product containing the best of the best, or a community effort
containing some things that might not be as up-to-snuff as others.  If this
were a for-sale package, it'd be most professional to have everything be as
uniform as possible.  On the other hand, if it were up to me I'd like to
think of this thing to be a little more inclusive.  I think we'll be hard
pressed to find a single standard that won't turn most people away.  So,
I'd lean more towards guidelines, and tutorials on how to make #includes
"nice," kinda like what Chris B was talking about.

Charles