POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Standards : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Standards Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:31:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Standards
From: Charles C
Date: 27 Nov 2006 19:50:00
Message: <web.456b877747def5ca2869ae640@news.povray.org>
"nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Still, i take it none of you want deeply nested well-organized directory
> structures, ain't it true?  I really don't agree with just IDs and prefixes
> and think a well-organized hierarchical directory structure for includes
> should pay off in the long run.

I'm still going on the assumption that we're talking about a downloadable
..zip file containing an entire library of whatnots & widgits, so being able
to tell POV-Ray to make the whole library accessable would be really handy.
To do that, you could add all the directories and sub-directories of the
library to the master .ini file hoping that you don't exceed POV-Ray's
limit on that... (Wasn't it something like 22 directories max?  I don't
have time to check atm.) Does anybody know the reason for the limit?  Since
Chris Cason mentioned it would be possible to make minor changes before 3.7
final, I wonder how hard it would be to give .ini files the option to tell
POV-Ray to search all sub-directories of a given directory.

Or, you could keep it to a single directory like the standard INCLUDE
directory that come's with POV-Ray (requiring added emphesis on naming
conventions).  I'm with you nemesis, I'd prefer at least some hierarchy.
For one thing, not all things come in single files.  A lot of use have
whole groups of related #includes that work together as their own little
package.

One place I think naming conventions come in especially handy is in
generated files...  For instance, I've got of macros which generate meshes,
and caching equivalent meshes of varying resolutions into files comes in
really handy.  But then comes the time when I want to back up of whatever
scene directory...  Those generated files can get big!  So, I always start
their file names with "Generated_" and then use a macro to put a comment at
the top of those files saying something like "This is a generated file and
can probably be deleted without too much harm.n"  If the generated files
have uniform file names, they're pretty quick to dispose of.

Charles