POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Includes - Licensing : Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:20:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray Includes - Licensing
From: nemesis
Date: 27 Nov 2006 17:25:01
Message: <web.456b65696ea74aa99d738cb0@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian <ykg### [at] vtedu> wrote:
> Chris B wrote:
> > We seem to have 100% vote for adopting a single license for the whole
> > collection (3 out of 3).

ah!  the destiny of many in the hands of so few!  come on, povvers!  vote
now! :)

> > I'm not sure that the GPL or LGPL licenses are all that appropriate because
> > they contain a lot of terminology that is exclusively oriented towards
> > software/programs rather than works of a creative or artistic nature (no
> > offence to application developers intended).

yes, indeed.

> > I therefore think we're probably down to picking from the list of available
> > Creative Commons licenses/certificates. Would anyone care to agree or
> > disagree with that?

I agree.  In the previous thread, Gilles Tran also seemed to hint at CC, but
i won't put words into the mouths of others...

> > On the subject of scene files, I didn't necessarily see this as being a
> > place where finished scenes would go, although samples and example scene
> > files could accompany objects, textures, macros and include files to
> > illustrate their use.

Indeed.  I started a thread to update povray standard include files, not
demo scenes or the like.

> > The other issue raised by Sabrina and Nemesis is around whether users of the
> > collection should be required to contribute their work back to the
> > collection. My vote is that we don't impose such a restriction.

point taken.  I'm an admirer of the GPL way of doing collaborative work, but
can certainly see the benefits of more liberal schemes.  If CC is to be it,
let's get ahead with it! :)

> I don't think we can get rid of copyright. The person who writes each
> snippet of code would still have the right to give it away, sell it, do
> what ever they want with their piece of code.

That's right.  But i hope there's some provision in the license under which
he (the contributor) published his work that restricts if he suddenly
changes his mind and begin requesting the contribution to be dropped from
povray or something.  I mean, he has to abide by the terms under which he
originally licensed it.  If later he begin to develop other version of the
file and publishes under another license, that's his right, but the
original should still be under the original license so as to be used by
povray.

> I also think the library as a whole should encourage giving credit to
> the include and the author of the piece that is used, but I don't think
> it needs to be a term in the license. It might be easier to use an
> established license, but most of them enforce some display of copyright
> being kept with the include file.

This sounds like BSD.

> I don't think it is necessary for this include to
> force people using it to put any scene using it under the same license,
> like the GPL would.

not at all!  The LGPL scheme would work much better.  But i believe CC is
the way to go if not anyone more pronunciates about the subject...