POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Inverse Kinematics : Re: Inverse Kinematics Server Time
1 Jul 2024 04:32:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inverse Kinematics
From: stm31415
Date: 27 Nov 2006 01:25:01
Message: <web.456a842f89f8419fcf1900cc0@news.povray.org>
Charles: I do one DOF per joint --- easier for IK, that way; it has only one
variable per segment.

Slime: His arms bend up because if they did not, his forearms would have to
change length, or something; try to touch your sternum with the tips of you
finger, with your elbow at your side --- impossible. Your elbow must be away
from your body to  let your hands do that. This is why IK is good, it shows
these things without my having to specifically enumerate them.

Art: I will post the code when I am satisfied with it --- it might be a
month or two, because I haven't decided what arrangement is most effective
but still flexible. OTOH, it might be more useful to see it now, rather
than the polished but unintuitive result. I'll see what I think tomorrow.

Rune: if a limb had 3 DOF your math would fall apart. It works in any axis,
but not all at once. 3 dimensions makes things hard, as does having more
than 2 segments; there are too many possible solutions.

Here is a walk cycle for your enjoyment. One leg spline, one arm spline
(same macro as leg spline, actually) and a little math to make the body
move and twist. It appears my IK works with pretty much arbitrary limbs,
with no adjustment of the numbers. I was worried it would take tweaking of
several constants to make it work for a given limb, but not so far. I am
still working on adding some 'weight' to the limbs, making it prefer to
hang down rather than stick out, but you can't tell that here. Tomorrow I
think I will post the code and explain it, so that someone can give me a
hand with that. Still, I am pretty happy with how easy it was to give him a
relatively natural gait, especially since now it is VERY easy to make it
bouncier or flatter or longer or...

Good night.

-s

Post a reply to this message