POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Inverse Kinematics : Re: Inverse Kinematics Server Time
1 Jul 2024 04:25:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inverse Kinematics
From: Charles C
Date: 26 Nov 2006 12:00:01
Message: <web.4569c72089f8419f2869ae640@news.povray.org>
There are 6 degrees of freedom total...  3 axis of rotation and 3 degrees of
translation.  For whatever type of skeletal system you have you can divide
it up by joint type, (e.g. the elbow bends one way but not the other, the
forearm might be a separate joint that twists only)....  Or you can make
all joints fundamentally the same in terms of how many degrees of freedom
they support, but with different limits.  For my stuff (still FK, I haven't
gotten around to IK) I've chosen the latter.  Every bone has 3 degrees of
freedom - two bends plus twist.  I opted not to bother with "sliding"
joints.  For future flexibility I also decided to give the joint a very
small but non-zero reverse bend limit, so that if I really wanted to, I
could bend the fingers backwards.

Charles